Sunday, February 2, 2014

Review of Digital Design And Manufactoring

The basic information covered in the excerpt from Digital Design and Manufacturing was informative but a bit banal. It's great to know the mathematical principals that are governing the systems and tools we (architects) use every day, but ultimately the depth required by those systems is beyond my interests. 

I understand math is a fundamental part of design but design is not holistically governed by arithmetic. The manufacturing and explanation of the different modes of casting, shelling, etc. are tentalating, I enjoy the manufacturing side of parts and components and I often find myself wondering how certain components are pieced together within a building system; typically the answer is not found in the blueprints but rather the shop drawings. 

The precision, accuracy, and rigor poured into shop drawings and their explicit specifications is a beautiful thing. Once again I enjoy this world and peering/wading in a bit, but ultimately it somewhat goes beyond the scope of my interests as an architect. There are a number of variables and systems which compromise the tools and methods which correlate with the architectural field and I am overjoyed that research is expanding those tools capabilities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment